Samstag, April 15, 2017

Eggquest 2017






I did it! I dyed red eggs that are really red!


My red Easter eggs were disappointing last year. I have had this problem ever since the Greek Market in Salt Lake City closed a couple of years ago. Caputo's sells some of the items I used to buy there, such as Greek feta and olive oil, but they carry predominantly Italian, not Greek specialities. I had bought Greek Easter egg dye on Amazon, but the dye clumped and adhered to the eggs in a patchy scum that rubbed off and left the eggs a dull pink. Not pretty. This year I searched the internet for ideas. Some people recommended dyeing with onion skins, so I decided to try it.

The recipe said to use the skins from 15 yellow onions. I just took all the loose skins out of the big bag of onions we have in the garage.


I boiled the onion skins as directed in 4.5 cups of water (is that a liter?) with 2 T. white vinegar for 1/2 hour, then drained and let the water cool to room temperature. That took another 1/2 hour. The dye liquid looked promising!

I then boiled the eggs in the dye liquid. My technique is to bring them to a full boil, then simmer for 17 minutes. I read this in a newspaper article years ago. I think Chris's mother read the same article, because that's how he learned to boil eggs.


While they were beautiful, the eggs were not the bright red I wanted. However, the silver lining on that is that if your eggs aren't perfect, you feel better about going ahead and eating one.


The dye liquid still looked vigorous so I cooked a few white eggs in the same water to see what they would do. Immediately after cooking they looked surprisingly like the brown eggs.



I decided to leave the eggs in the dye water overnight to pick up more color. And it worked! Happy Easter!


Keine Kommentare:

No tickers