Samstag, Dezember 19, 2009

I survive Fall Semester; and review some CDs and a book

I think fall semester cured my anxiety. I'm not kidding. I was so stressed out over the oral presentation for music history class, that I think I may have used it all up. There was no anxiety left over for anything else. Organ juries were actually fun.

So, your CD reviews:


Christmas In The Heart by Bob Dylan


I have been a Bob Dylan fan forever, and have raised a second generation of them; OK, maybe just Todd and his wife. But I have to admit I bought his Christmas CD with a little bit of trepidation. Could That Voice do Christmas? So I ordered it, but then put off listening to it for a couple of months.

So, yeah, it's definitely Dylan. But as far as Christmas, I think it has to go in my weird collection. My seven-year-old grandson made the definitive comment on it:

"I didn't think any Christmas song could be that bad. His voice is really horrible. I can't stand to listen to that any more."

(Keep in mind this is one of the kids whose dad is an opera singer.)

So, if you're a Dylan fan, thumbs up. Otherwise, maybe not.

The other CD I got was this Sting CD.


If On A Winter's Night by Sting


I find it more listenable. There are some nice rhythmic things, some old sounding songs, some actually old songs. I was listening for hurdy-gurdy; there's a song called Hurdy-gurdy Man, but I didn't pick up on actual hurdy-gurdy in it. Well, I will have to bring it in out of the car and read liner notes. If there are any.

And now a book review:


The Gilded Bat by Edward Gorey


I picked this up at Tabula Rasa (actually I got the Sting CD there as well). We can't decide what it is, other than Edward Gorey, which pretty much says it all. I think it is an allegory* but I haven't decided for what. Sharman thinks it is a parody of a Russian novel. I think everyone should read it and we should have an online book group to discuss it. You will have to guess which is my favorite picture when you get it. It definitely calls for an Edward Gorey shawl and legwarmers, though.

And speaking of knitting, I must knit. I am knitting for Nitin, Cherry's boyfriend who has never had a Christmas stocking and who WILL have one this year.

And so, adieu.

Is there some subtle, hidden significance to the sizes of the pictures, which increase as the post goes on?

*serendipitous pun

Kommentare:

Lynn hat gesagt…

Trainman gives the Sting CD a big thumbs-up. [Yes, it's me, prying myself off Facebook long enough to catch up on some blogs.] I may very well have acquired your anxiety: it's called *dating*, LOL.

KnitNana hat gesagt…

Congratulations on a successful school term!!!
((((hugs))))

Terri hat gesagt…

I too enjoy the Sting CD. Will look for a copy of the Gilded Bat.

Congratualtions on making it through the semester.

mama hat gesagt…

I agree with the grandson. I heard one of the cuts on the BD cannot sing Christmas at all. It is baaaad. Sad that he even tried.

No tickers