Dienstag, August 11, 2009

I See Stars


Photo from Jim Harrington


Last night was the peak of the Perseids meteor shower. I decided to stay up and watch meteors. It was hazy, and there was light pollution, so only the big ones got through. I saw six shooting stars that trailed across a couple of degrees of arc. One left a trail hanging in the sky for a few seconds.

The best one I ever saw actually made a hissing sound, but that was several years ago.*

I was going to stay out longer, because you see more meteors after midnight. My late father-in-law once explained why. It has something to do with the part of the earth you are on turning towards what you are looking at (Perseids meteors radiate from the northeast sky). However, at about midnight Paul came out to get me. He couldn't sleep because Cesare was sitting in the window looking out at me and yowling at the top of his Siamese lungs.

I also spent some time yesterday looking for knitting stars.

Since I did not go to Sock Summit, I have been watching for blog reports by people who did go. The most star-studded blog report I've found was from Sheri at the Loopy Ewe. She seems to have met everyone.

Anne Hanson went to dinner with the stars.

Lots of articles, great interviews, and a podcast showed up on the Oregonian's website. They did a video of the Guinness World Record knitting event.

Knitting Daily interviewed Nancy Bush, my own personal sock hero. It was Nancy, when her shop "The Wooly West" was still a brick and mortar store, who introduced me to sock knitting.



My Bosnian socks (purchased a few years ago from the Sundance Catalog) met several knitting stars, thanks to JC Briar who took them to meet Cat Bordhi, Priscilla Gibson-Roberts, Anna Zilboorg, and Barbara Walker. I had sent them along to see if anyone can tell how they were constructed. Sadly, socks do not take photos of the people they meet. But when they get back in the mail, I will take photos of them and show you why they are interesting.

People who are promising more Real Soon Now: Stephanie. Gryphon. Knitnana. Lisa.

*No one believes I could hear a meteor, but I swear I heard it.

1 Kommentar:

KnitNana hat gesagt…

Poor Che. Momma left him!
:)
(I know that voice...I heard it all the way to Portland from my own meezer...)
(((hugs)))

No tickers