Samstag, April 04, 2009

Reasons to buy yarn. Or not.

I think these are the top ten reasons I buy yarn:

  • 1. I want to support the dyer's business because she needs the money
  • 2. I don't have that colorway yet
  • 3. I caught the update, so it's fated that I buy some
  • 4. Ooh, shiny!
  • 5. It's from a club and it will come with doodads, and I will feel left out if I don't have that yarn and those doodads
  • 6. Everyone else wants it, so I must want it
  • 7. I need a blue sweater and I would have more fun knitting it than buying it
  • 8. Meggie needs a blue sweater, and I would have more fun knitting it than buying it
  • 9. It's less fattening than a carton of Winter White Chocolate
  • 10. I test-knitted that sock in that colorway, but I had to give it back. I want that sock!


  • Some of those are not very good reasons to spend my hard-earned piano money, and most of them are worse ones for spending Paul's hard-earned cash.

    If I am completely honest, the first six items on the list are responsible for probably 95% of my yarn purchases. Yet, the rest of the list, representing the other 5% of the yarn, seem like more viable reasons to buy yarn. The need for clothing; the need for a reward for a battle fought or a task well-done--the something for something way of life, instead of the pile-it-up, acquisitional way of life.

    Can I stop acquiring, just for the sake of acquiring?

    That was just a rhetorical question. I don't think there is an answer.

    Yet.

    Keine Kommentare:

    No tickers