Donnerstag, Februar 26, 2009

Mega Camnesia!

I finished the socks for my friend Cori's little girls and took them over tonight. One girl wasn't there, but Cori's socks and her 3-year-old's fit perfectly. Cori said she loved the edging on Gracie's sock, and Gracie said, "I love it all!"

It wasn't until I got home that I realized I had forgotten to photograph the socks after I blocked them.

My mind has been on other things, that's for sure.

My sister was scheduled to start chemo on Monday, but cancelled it instead. I have been upset all week. I want to be supportive, but I could not understand why she would cancel her treatment. She is only 46 and in good health. Why would she want to set herself up for a recurrance by not having treatment?

Finally yesterday I emailed my friend whose husband is an oncologist. I wanted her to ask her husband what the permanent side-effects of chemotherapy are, that are so bad that a person would prefer a 20% chance of their cancer coming back? Her husband kindly called me to discuss chemotherapy.

It turned out that he was actually familiar with my sister's case because her doctor had consulted with him about it (they work together). He said that she really should have chemo, but that it is ultimately her decision and we have to support her.

So I prayed really hard, and I think God listened. Because this morning my sister called me and said that she has changed her mind and is going to have chemo after all.

It turns out that all the times the doctors said she should have chemo because she is young and healthy, she and her husband thought they were saying that she could withstand the rigors, so it was OK to have it. But her surgeon explained to her that what they meant was that chemo is the gift that goes on giving. You put up with a year of misery and some possible health risks to have a really good chance of living the next 30 years without a recurrance. Because she is young and healthy, she can expect those 30 years.

So I bought her this tote bag:

chemo tote

It says, "Unbeknown to the mosquito, I just had chemo!"

Kommentare:

Margene hat gesagt…

Sending good thoughts to you and your sister. The bag is a hoot! Laughter is the best medicine.

KnitNana hat gesagt…

Many hugs to your sister, your family, and especially YOU.
That bag? Hysterical!!! I love it.
((((hugs))))

No tickers