Sonntag, Jänner 04, 2009

NaKniSweMoDoNoWay

NaKniSweMoDo stands for "National Knit a Sweater a Month Dodecathon." Or something like that. Just hearing that Susan and Margene were going to enter made me shiver with terror. But it did make me think I could knit one sweater in one month. Maybe it would be the only way I could knit a sweater that actually fits.

I bought this yarn from The Sanguine Gryphon.


Free Range sport weight in Montazah


I wound it into balls. I knitted a swatch.



I decided on a rotation scheme to prevent pooling, which can be a problem in multi-color yarns, even ones as subtle as this. Yarns that have more aqua are A, and yarns that have more plain blue are B.
A1 A2 A3
B1 B2 B3

A and B trade off every two rows throughout the sweater. In addition, after inch and a half or so, A2 replaces A1. After another inch, B2 replaces B1, and so forth, so that all six yarn cakes are used pretty much evenly. A pin on the knitting shows where I've changed balls, so I can figure out which change I'm on.

I will want to knit the sleeves simultaneously. Yikes! That could get messy.

About 3" into the project, the pattern said "Repeat rows 3 and 4 40 times." I had another shiver of terror. At the end of the forty repeats, I would only have knitted enough to join the sweater to knit in the round.


Don't say it . . . I know the sleeves look puffy . . .
and this color is not accurate, either


I appealed to sweater knitters I know for encouragement. Margene estimates that a worsted-weight sweater has only about 25% more stitches than a pair of socks, and AutumnBriars on Ravelry has read that a sweater has about as many stitches as three socks.

I can do this.

Kommentare:

The Sanguine Gryphon hat gesagt…

Just for the record, it's not space-dyed, but maybe the rotation is a good idea anyway, for possible inter-skein variation.

You're a long way in already, you can do it!

knitandnosh hat gesagt…

You can do it! Go Tan, go Tan, go go go Tan!

Margene hat gesagt…

That is a going to be beautiful. You can do it, you can! The yoke is a major portion of the sweater and the body is knit on far fewer stitches. By the time you get to the sleevdes they are even smaller and fly by quickly. It's all part of a process you love...with a lovely bonus at the end!

rippedandfrogged hat gesagt…

That yarn is crazy pretty! Think of how lovely it will be to wear it.

By the time you have joined to work in rounds, you'll be under the arm, and that's what? A third of the body? That's kind of like getting to the bottom in a sock leg! You can TOTALLY do this!

XO--AutumnBriars

Anonym hat gesagt…

Wow, amazing what you can do out of this wool...

I wouldnt ming wearing scarf like this in those sad and cold days...

I tought I will endorse you too to listen to my personal podcast at http://bytheway.podbean.com

Best Regards

No tickers