Sonntag, Dezember 07, 2008

I Survive the Early Music Concert

Henry VIII was a mean, mean guy.
He had eight wives and he watched them die.


I told Laurel I would put that on my blog if she would let me use her pictures from the concert Saturday. Which she did.

IMG_7366
Me with my gothic bray harp.
Photo by Laurel Leishman


The last section of our concert had some Henry VIII compositions as well as other Renaissance stuff. We also had some very early pieces. I played a solo on my bray harp which would have gone better if I had remembered to eat lunch or even bring a snack. My hands were shaking, and I blamed it on stage fright, but I realized afterwards that it was probably also from taking a Sudafed and not eating anything since breakfast.

So I remembered my rug to sit the harps on and my desk drawer to raise the bray harp a little and give it an added sound magnifier. I remembered the two harps, three recorders, and the krummhorn. I remembered my music, which I had forgotten to bring to Monday's rehearsal.

IMG_7370
My instruments are under my hand. From left they are a tenor recorder,
a krummhorn and an alto recorder.
I also played the U's soprano recorder.
Photo by Laurel Leishman


When I carry all that stuff into the music building (and I can carry it all at once except the rug) I think of that Simon and Garfunkle lyric about "a poet and a one man band." So then I had to think of a poem. That's where the Henry VIII doggerel came from.

So who needs food? Me, apparently.

Kommentare:

Lynn hat gesagt…

One of my very favorite S&G songs. Back then I didn't know that the home I was longing for, was my eternal Home.

Margene hat gesagt…

I haven't seen you in awhile. You look mahvelous. I'll bet it all sounded marvelous, too!

Tola hat gesagt…

beautiful photo! i wish i had been able to come and listen.

KnitNana hat gesagt…

I agree with Margene! You DO look mahvelous! (as do the instruments...what beautiful wood!)
(my word verification says "delies" but I'm NOT lying!)
(((((hugs)))))

nyckelharpanna hat gesagt…

Hi Tanasay,
nice picture! And lovely instruments! I play the cembalo and play together with a flauto traverso (I don+t know in english), it sounds magnific!
I wish you a merry christmas and a fine advent season!
Greetings from Sweden (with snow)
Anna

No tickers