Samstag, November 08, 2008

Protesting Breast Cancer

You know how you go to your doctor and she asks you if you have any history of breast cancer in the family. And you say, "No." You feel safe. You might get your mammogram or not, depending on how much you feel like being run over by a truck. You don't do your self-exam because it makes you feel kind of dumb. You just sort of forget to make the appointment with your gynecologist for your annual checkup. Why bother? You don't have breast cancer in your family tree.

OK, here's the truth. Only 3% of breast cancers are hereditary. You can get any one of the other 97%.

So here's my advice. Do the monthly self-exam. Get your mammogram every year. Have your annual exam with your gynecologist. Because what if the person in your family who has it is you?

We do have a history of breast cancer in my family. My cousin. My aunt.

My sister.

Kommentare:

Lynn hat gesagt…

I don't do the BSE every month, but I am faithful about the yearly exam and the smashing-of-the-girls. So I get two points out of three, or out of fourteen if you look at it that way.

I am *so* sorry to hear about your sister.

Anonym hat gesagt…

I'm sorry, Tan. Pressing every available thumb for your sisters health!
Waltraud

No tickers