Freitag, November 14, 2008

Memories of Halloween

These are the Wollmeise yarns I was able to order from Claudia's Halloween update. All very arcane, if you ask me.

Wollmeise Halloween yarns


From left they are: Thriller, Baba Jaga, Frosch, Poison Nr. 5, and another Thriller (Joanne's--I will give it to her tonight when we go to the yarn tasting at Blazing Needles).

Successfully navigating a Wollmeise update is like winning the lottery. Claudia lets you know the day, but not the time, of the update to protect the website from a mass attack of thousands of shoppers all at once.

The amount of excitement, suspense, and resultant adrenaline involved left me shaky for hours afterwards on Halloween. I happened to be looking at the computer when little shopping carts appeared by the items on my wishlist. I just dumped the whole wishlist into the checkout line and after much refreshing, backpaging, and redoing, I was able to make it to the PayPal screen: the sign that you actually have made it through checkout with something left in your cart.

Like many online shopping sites, the Wollmeise site does not "protect" your shopping cart. If a product is oversold and someone checks out ahead of you, the embattled item will disappear from your cart. This protects you against paying for a product that doesn't exist, but it's very nerve-wracking. For about five minutes I was staring at the computer, pushing buttons, saying to myself, "Do I have anything? Do I have anything?"

It wasn't until I got a shipping notice from Claudia that I was sure my order was real, although the fact that I made it as far as PayPal and then got a confirmation email were very heartening. Errors don't happen often, but at least one person got a complete refund due to overselling, so there's always the dark chance.

I think it's a good thing I'm not a gambler. I would have a heart attack waiting for the roulette wheel to stop every time.

The intelligent reader may ask: Why? Is it a lemming-like behavior left in the back of some people's brains after millions of years of evolution?

Real-Lemming-photo


Is it a hoarding behavior caused by too much dieting and repressed emotion in an effort to fit into modern society?

squirrel hoard
ROBERT HUSKISSON (c.1820-1861) Biography
Worked: c.1820-1861
Fairy School, Titania's Elves Stealing the Squirrel's Hoard of Hazlenuts - Midsummer Night's Dream (United Kingdom, 1854)


Is it the excitement of the chase, caused by a dog-like "if it runs I will chase it" response deep in the limbic system?



Or is it just "Oooh! Shiny! Want it!"?

My money is on "Oooh! Shiny!"

Kommentare:

KnitNana hat gesagt…

Ooh! Shiny!
(that's MY vote!)
(((hugs)))

Becca hat gesagt…

I dunno, but whenever I am lucky enough to stumble upon Wollmeise, my fingers take over and I buy whatever I can. It's completely instinctive.

I'm jealous. My package from the 10-31 update (which WAS crazy!) isn't here yet. Hmmph.

tapmouse hat gesagt…

Congrats on your Wollmeise score! Luckily, a friend of mine was aware of my desire for Poison Nr. 5 and hit an update and was able to get me a skein. I am just glad I had long-ago ordered when Claudia was taking special orders and then later when her sale site first went up and not as many people were aware of the gem that is Wollmeise! So I actually am pretty spoiled because I am the proud owner of around 8 skeins-all still to be knit up!

knitandnosh hat gesagt…

I have yet to see a skein of Wollmeise in person. You are very lucky indeed.

No tickers