Donnerstag, Oktober 23, 2008

See and Hear Chris on TV

Chris is singing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on their Music and the Spoken Word program this Sunday, October 26th. It's broadcast online here at 9:30 a.m. Mountain time.

If that link doesn't work, the main site is Music and the Spoken Word, and then you click on "View a Broadcast."

If you live in Utah you can probably hear it live at the same time on Channel 5. I think I am going to go to the rehearsal tonight. That way I don't have to get a substitute to play for me at Old People's Church (not its real name) on Sunday morning. I have a sub lined up for the following week to do something fiberish with Joanne, and I ought to show up once in a while in person.

If you live in Salt Lake you could also catch Chris in Madama Butterfly Friday or Sunday with the Utah Opera. He is Prince Yamadori.

Ooops, looks as if it's sold out.

Paul and I went to Madama B. on Monday. I had a surprising emotional reaction to the performance. Instead of just thinking, "lalalala, its an opera, I have heard the CD 50 times, so what?" (which is what I usually do) I was very upset by the final scene. Here is Butterfly with a little blond 2-year-old, and she finds out her husband has left her for another woman. Her distress is so great that she wishes she could die, and ultimately kills herself.

Instead of Butterfly, I kept seeing my mother in the same circumstance, deserted by her husband on Christmas Eve as he left her for another woman. She had a little blond 2-year-old, too. Fortunately for me she didn't kill herself, but struggled through many years of a mediocre-to-bad second marriage in near-poverty circumstances. I have a super brother and three wonderful sisters because she didn't give up.

My mother might be nuts, but I love her.

Kommentare:

Lynn hat gesagt…

Sounds like she has *earned* being nuts, bless her! Thanks for the heads-up on the performance. Huzzah for afternoon church!

KnitNana hat gesagt…

What can I say?
(((((((hugs)))))))
To both you AND your mom!

Mormon Soprano hat gesagt…

Chris was in my graduating class at UU, and we have sung in many an OpShop together. It was very exciting when this Sunday's soloist was announced at rehearsal, and it turned out to be one of my 'gang'. I'm pleased as punch to be one of his "back up singers" Sunday.
:)

No tickers