Sonntag, Juli 27, 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Saturday was an "all's well that ends well" kind of a day--stressful while going on, but positive overall.

My sisters and brother put together an 80th birthday celebration for my parents.

Mom and Dad

Yes, one of these people is anorexic
and the other one is missing his CSI reruns


I promised to bring sheet cakes, which I picked up at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday from Cakes de Fleur in Salt Lake. I am still trying to decide which is better, the lemon or the carrot cake; you should try them and decide for yourself if you are within striking distance of one of the shops listed on their website

Cherry's luggage had been severely delayed, so while I picked up cakes she went to buy replacement clothing and toiletries. By the time she got back and we picked up Celia and Laurel we were running about an hour late.

Things went well for some time--it's a 4 1/2 hour drive to my parents' neighborhood--when I realized I was seeing an LDS temple on the horizon. This meant that I had forgotten to turn off the freeway at Blackfoot and had made us another half hour late by taking a detour through Idaho Falls.

"I've never seen the waterfall," said Cherry. The girls decided that if we were already this late, it couldn't matter if we were another ten minutes later, so we stopped for pictures.

DSCN0560


We missed half the party, which is not good if you have the main dessert, but remember how the Serenity Prayer starts out: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change . . . "

It was fun to see my brother and sisters

DSCN0580

Ruth Ann, Tan, Don, Robin, Christie; in front, Mom and Dad


and their kids.

family collage


On the way home we stopped to document this bit of Idaho oddity:

Arco, Idaho graduation custom

High school seniors from Arco, Idaho
paint their graduation year
onto the bluff behind the town


We laughed a lot, during both the party and the drive.

We got home at midnight, but did not get to sleep immediately.

Jet

Jet is an Australian Shepherd. He is named after the Border Collie mix that Paul had from the time he (Paul) was eight years old until after he started medical school.


Luckily Jet has gotten used to sleeping in his crate. After being mobbed by seven kids before dinner and then whisked away to the crate for safety, he decided to go with it.

All the knitting took place in the back seat. Laurel almost finished a pair of socks, and Celia knitted on her interminable poncho. I can do a lot of things while I knit, but driving is not one of them.

Keine Kommentare:

No tickers