Sonntag, Mai 04, 2008

We go to see Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

yarn harlot 2008 Salt Lake

From Left: Stephanie; me; Laurel; Joanne; a person we don't know; in the center, Princess P.


We had a lot of fun going to the Salt Lake City library to hear Stephanie speak. Joanne stayed to get her book signed, but P had about had it. Stephanie had invited people whose kid was not going to make it through the long line to step up right away, and kind people in the line let us, even taking a picture for us.

We met up with Carrie from the Utah Knitters Ravelry group. I had planned on helping her with her knitting, but she didn't need much help. However, she got awesome seats for us.

We were this close:

yh08e


The P knitted away assiduously on ribbon yarn we bought last summer at Unravelled Sheep. Or not; correct me, Laurel.

p3


Laurel took a few crowd shots for me while Carrie and I knitted.

yh08byh08cyh08d

click for big


I was having a bad hair day; it was one of those "shower at 4:00 a.m. for headache control" days, and I didn't have time to start over with it later. I'm also disappointed at being the fattest person in every picture; but I'm doing something new about that: I'm starting Overeaters Anonymous tomorrow.

Having my mom here for a weekend at the end of April and managing her pain pills in the face of her long-term addiction was a real eye-opener for me. The children of addicts learn to behave like addicts, and that's certainly how I treat food. I have been doing my own "addict diet" for about a week*, with only one day of ODing on carbs. I went to the hairdresser and jokingly mentioned this, only to have someone else who was in the salon tell me that OA really exists and that we have it in the Salt Lake area.

I'm excited. I'm having that same rush of hope and good feelings that you get when you start a new anti-depressant. Maybe the next time Stephanie comes to town, I'll be one of the thin people in the picture.

*
The script for the addict diet comes directly from my weekend with mom. Just substitute "Mom" for "Tan" and "Lortab" for food.

"No, Tan, it isn't time for a snack until 10:30."
"No, Tan, you just had a meal. You need to wait half an hour for it to take effect before deciding you need another one."
"No, Tan, you cannot have two snacks."

Kommentare:

Paula B. hat gesagt…

I was there too! I heard your comment during the question time but, since I was sitting as far behind you as possible, I couldn't see you. I brought along a non-knitting friend and she bought a copy of the book! Great fun!

Lynn hat gesagt…

Every time that she goes on tour, I hope that she will make it to Dallas or Fort Worth. I am just a wee bit jealous, ma'am!

Tola hat gesagt…

she is coming to Philly in 2 weeks. i think this time we will bring her Blue Moon beer.

Belinda hat gesagt…

OA is from what I hear a good group. I have to be honest though, you are not fat! Really, you can diet to be more healthy, but you are not fat. I think that you look great! :-)

Kate hat gesagt…

Fun seeing this, I went the last time she came to SLC and really enjoyed her talk. I hope all is well with you. Are you coming up to the Fiber Fair?

kate

Laurel hat gesagt…

You're right, it was the Unraveled Sheep trip.

Laurel

KnitNana hat gesagt…

Great photos - I get to see you in this one! I don't think you look fat. I understand, however, if you think you do...b/c I always think I do!
I will be interested in hearing about your experiences is OA - I don't know if we have one, but it's not something I've tried in the past! I wish you much success!!!
((((Hugs))))

No tickers