Donnerstag, Mai 29, 2008

Seeking Anne

Last week my friend Helen emailed me with a problem. She has been trying to track down her third great-grandmother, Anne Reilly, and needed to look at a census record that wasn't available at her local library in Burton-on-Trent, England.

I live just a 20-minute drive from the end-all and be-all of family history centers

fh1


so I promised to see what I could find out. Never mind that I have never set foot in the place, how hard can it be?

Luckiliy, Paul recently signed us up for the Family History class at church because the Bible class was too crowded. We had learned that the library catalog is available online, so I did Step 1 from home.

A keyword search on Dublin Census 1901 gave too many choices, but adding "Dun Laoghaire" tightened it down to one.

Outlander fans will be interested to know that Laoghaire is not pronounced "Leg Hair" but is actually "Leary."

With the right film number in hand, I headed downtown to look for Helen's Gran.

I found parking around the corner at the Meganacle Conference Center.

Conference Center
That's my little blue car across the street there


The Family History Library is across the street from Temple Square. From there you can see the back door of the Tabernacle, home of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Mormon Tabernacle back door


and the Assembly Hall, where I take organ lessons.

Assembly Hall
That picture took some photoshopping
to get a crane out of it; downtown Salt Lake
is getting a major overhaul


It's next door to the Pioneer Museum, where they seem to have added costumed guides since I was there last. Time to take the grandkids on a tour?

Pioneer Museum
This has nothing to do with today's topic,
but in St. George, Utah you can stay in actual
pioneer era houses that have been collected
in a bed and breakfast setting, the Green Gate Village Inn,
which is just around the corner from
a great yarn shop,Heindselman's Too.


It took a minute to get oriented once I got inside the library. There is an information desk

Inside the Family History Library


but the elevator had a label for British Isles research, so I just went straight down there. A librarian showed me where the microfilm cabinets are

Microfilm Cabinets


and showed me how to load the film.

It took a while to find the right record, because the address Helen had given me listed both Crofton Road and Albert Terrace. Crofton Road was populated mostly with sailors and their support industries--the victualer, the harbourmaster, and so forth. I had a sinking feeling when I found three pages of women of all ages whose occupation was listed as laundress. At the top of the list were two Sisters of Mercy. According to a Sundance movie that came out a couple of years ago, the Sisters of Mercy laundries were like prisons for women with out-of-wedlock pregnancies. Their families wanted to hide them away to protect the family reputation, and the women were never released.

After not finding Anne Reilly in Crofton Road, I went back to the beginning of the film. There she was on Albert Terrace, with her daughter Emily.

Dublin census


Helen had wanted to know where Anne was born, and we were able to narrow it down to County Dublin. The Dun Laoghaire Heritage Society has birth records available online for all the parishes in that part of Dublin, so Helen should be able to track down more information there.

And now we return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Briar Rose2
Eidos sock yarn from Sanguine Gryphon

Kommentare:

Mormon Soprano hat gesagt…

This is a very cool "travelogue" of your successful genealogy outing!

KnitNana hat gesagt…

I have to tell you, I enjoyed this so much! My family (mom, aunts, and brother) all did the genealogy research on both my mom's and my dad's families, and were fascinated by it all. This was one place they all wanted to visit - none of them made it past the Mississippi River.

It's nice to see it all! How cool you were able to help your friend find her relation (and thank heaven she wasn't one of the laundresses who never left their imprisonment!!).
(((hugs)))

Tola hat gesagt…

"meganacle" *snort*

No tickers