Mittwoch, Februar 20, 2008

Knitting in Spacetime

spacetime

Spacetime around an isolated spherical non-rotating uncharged gravitating body is described by Schwarzschild Geometry, in which spacetime can be thought of as being bent by the presence of mass. This creates a gravity well which extends to the surface of the body or, in the case of a black hole, to oblivion.
by John Walker at Fourmilab


I was not actually trying to create a wormhole to oblivion. What I was trying to do was combine that one cute baby hat with a non-reversible stitch pattern I saw on the Monica Knits Victorian Swag sock.

So I started the baby cap at the top.

witches hat

Someone else probably could have gotten this to work. This would have been a person who

a) uses the right size needles (I used #1 instead of #3);

b) can remember to increase every every other row instead of randomly whenver the fit strikes;

c) is knitting the hat for an actual baby, rather than a 3-year-old, on whom it will look silly

d) and understands that this pattern depends on being able to increase and decrease at key points in every row, which is not a feature of the Victorian Swag design.

So this project ended up frogged to oblivion. It is a very cute yarn, "I Want Candy," the sock club offering Georgia aka Yarn Pirate cooked up right before having her very cute (and very large) baby.


But it is too pink for me, so it will have to be knitted into something for Miss P&P. Merino/tencel is so cute and shiny. I will have to think about it.

Say, on another front, one of my former piano students, a teenage boy named Taylor, came over and played a piece for me that he had tried to learn for a year while studying with me. In just three months with the new teacher he had it mastered, including the key change part. I asked him what the new teacher does that I don't to make him practice and make progress.

Taylor said that the new teacher gets very disappointed when students don't practice, kind of cold and stiff.

Huh. I get disappointed when the students don't practice. But I don't do cold and stiff, and I don't do angry. I just cannot rip a little kid to shreds because they only practiced one time.

But I am thinking of shooting off a letter to all the parents of once-a-week practicers and letting them know that their kid might do better with a meaner, colder, stiffer teacher. What do you think?

Kommentare:

Lynn hat gesagt…

Not a big fan of "cold and stiff". LittleBit's choir director does that, big-time, and it just makes me want to beat her with a metaphorical blowtorch. [The choir director, not my child.]

It's been my experience that God rarely resorts to "cold and stiff". He seems to be an advocate of "take your time, within reason, but learn it well, and by the way, I love you".

Just mes deux centimes.

Tola hat gesagt…

add my two, and youve got 4.

tapmouse hat gesagt…

Funny, I had a lovely piano teacher. She would look at me after I attempted playing a piece we were working on and she'd state that I hadn't practiced. I was absolutely amazed!--"Wow. how does she *know* I didn't practice!" Well, I got older, took dance classes that I practiced like crazy for and finally 'got' that -ahem!-yeah, I guess you do need to practice!

At any rate, she was sweet and made the best cookies for our recitals. I liked her. And I absolutely sucked at piano!

No tickers