Dienstag, Jänner 01, 2008

Being Big

Today M1 had to go to the doctor and pee in a cup. Howard and Amber had to divide up, and since Amber's parents were here with their trailer and a load of furniture, Amber went with them to the new house. Howard took M to Instacare. I went along because--well, it seemed like a good idea to have another girl along when peeing in a cup was on the agenda.

M was frightened and didn't feel well, and cried a little at the indignity of it, but she managed the cup thing like a trooper. Later she answered all the doctor's questions and behaved much more like a grownup than a 3-year-old.

Afterward Howard and I told her what a big girl she was. She said,

"I wasn't big. I was little. I cried."

So then I knew why I had gone along. It was Gramma's job to tell her that being big doesn't mean that you aren't scared and don't cry, but that being big means that you act big even when you feel little inside.

When Howard was M1's age, he had a horrid temper. When he managed his temper, Paul would let him hook up the battery to our boat's diesel engine. When Howard lost it, Paul would tell him that Boat Boys didn't act like that. One day Howard solemnly told me, "Milk and boats make me big."

Anyway, I want to tell you that I decided blogging every day in December was an interesting thing to try, but I don't think it made me big. It made my month more interesting because some days I only did some things so I would have something to blog about. But it also meant that you got some posts that were totally pointless because I didn't have anything to say.

The silly thing is that I didn't set out to blog daily as Lene and others did. I just looked at the title I had typed on the 1st and thought that if I said, "On the First Day of December" in one heading, I had better go on and do the other Thirty of them.

Sharman is on her second hat. This time she is doing 2x2 rib so she has had to learn to purl. I did the ribbing for her on the first hat. She has made it through 2" in a day. She has the Black Parade Classy, so I will use the Cocoa Kiss for Paul's scarf. Only not today. I am knitting Irtfa'a.

irtfaa

Kommentare:

Lynn hat gesagt…

Totally pointless posts? Which ones were those? I must have missed them.

If a certain comic can have a long-running TV show "about nothing", then you, my dear, are most certainly entitled to blog about the daily stuff, which may seem pointless, but is the stuff of Real Life.

Which reminds me, I need to make my own yearly appointment to pee in a cup and assume the position. Oh joy!

Laritza hat gesagt…

I don't recall any pointless posts. They were all fun. What is the Irtfa'a?

No tickers