Montag, Dezember 03, 2007

On the Third Day of December . . .

. . . my mom taught Laurel and me how to make traditional fudge.



Mom's recipe is a little vague: "Put in two or three cups of sugar and some cocoa. Stir in enough cream to get the sugar wet . . ." We grabbed a recipe off the internet, but used mom's technique.

The new things we learned were that if you turn your fudge into tootsie roll (tm) that you can add a small amount more cream while beating the fudge to loosen it up; and that you stop beating the fudge when it begins to lose its gloss.

I am going to try my mixer's dough hook on my next batch of fudge.

Why, you ask, did I not learn how to make fudge when I lived at home? Why bother, when there was a constant supply that I didn't have to lift a finger to get? And why, you might also ask, does the Supreme Maker of Ultimate Fudge only weigh 98 lbs? That one's harder to get at.

Kommentare:

Tola hat gesagt…

i am *hoping* that my granny will make a batch of fudge for the party on the 21st. Alton Brown says not to use an electric mixer, as it beats too much air into the fudge. but he doesnt say anything about a dough hook. i say try it, and report back to us. i love homemade fudge, but the beating is hard!

Oozaroo hat gesagt…

It looks delicious! What recipe did you use?

-Audrey

Laritza hat gesagt…

I would think that the flat attachment would do a better job than the hook. Guess it would be trial and error. The fudge looks great!

Margene hat gesagt…

This is going to be a fun series to watch. I'm using it as MY advent calendar. When you're done I can come out from under my rock;-)
My mother made candy, tons of candy every Christmas. Thanks for the lovely memory.

No tickers