Montag, November 12, 2007

Adventures in the Objective World

Facts which can be learned through experimentation

  • Guacamole survives freezing




  • Yes. If, upon realizing that you left your Rhodes rolls sitting in a grocery bag on the counter, you stick said grocery bag into the freezer without checking what else is in it, and then find out there was guacamole under the Rhodes rolls, said guacamole will be edible the next day after thawing out. Was that a good sentence or what?

  • Finishing always takes more time than you think


  • When I took a Lucy Neatby class in finishing, she said that you should allow two weeks to do the finishing work on a project because of the blocking, drying, sewing, button sewing, and procrastination involved.

    It is about the same on a composition project. Since we read through my piece in early music ensemble a couple of weeks ago, I have finally gotten around to the finishing. Last week I gave out parts with cue notes (it turned out that when four people bent down to pick up krummhorns everyone was instantly lost). I also lined up a conductor. On Saturday I spent a long day cutting and pasting the score so it could go to Kinko's and come back on 11x17 paper with a spiral binding. Now I am making MIDI files for people to practice with and for the conductor to use in getting an idea of the piece.

    In the case of knitting, it is the knitting I like the best. In the case of composing, it is finishing that makes me feel like a real composer. It is typing up the page that lists the instruments, catalogs any weird symbols used, indicates the duration, and show at the top the date and details of the first performance. In my case it hasn't happened yet, but we are hopeful. I can always change it later.



  • There is always one mistake you don't find until you do the final blocking


  • This works in composition, too. When I opened up the finished score after picking it up from Kinko's I saw a raging error right on the first page, at the top. I am pretending it is a performance note to the alto recorder player. I was positive I fixed it in her part, so I can't think why it is in the score. But since the software links the part and the score, she probably has a note that says "add tremolo." She's a good player. She can do that. It's called aleatoric music.

  • At some point Baby Surprise begins to make sense








  • I've been knitting sleeves! Who knew!

    Kommentare:

    Anonym hat gesagt…

    Hooray! Congratulations on finishing your composition!

    Laurel

    KnitNana hat gesagt…

    Whooohooo!
    (and the surprise jacket is darling!)
    (((hugs)))

    Lynn hat gesagt…

    I miss Rhodes bake-and-serve bread. I miss fresh hot bread and real butter for breakfast, washed down with a mug of milk or buttermilk. Oh drat! now I'm hungry again.

    No tickers