Dienstag, Oktober 09, 2007

The Oysters of Alderaan

A long time ago,
In a galaxy far, far away . . .
Or maybe a week or so ago
In New Jersey . . .


. . . My daughter and a co-worker were on their way to lunch when DD's former supervisor walked by. She had transferred out of the supervisor's department because she couldn't stand him, so the co-worker thought a comment was appropriate.

CW: I feel a great disturbance in the Force,
as if millions of clams suddenly cried out in terror,
and were suddenly silenced.

DD: Clams?

CW: Clams, oysters, I always get them mixed up.

DD: Oysters?

CW: You know, it's what Obi-Wan says when the Death Star blows up the planet Alderaan. "Millions of oysters cried out in terror."

DD: He didn't say oysters, he said voices.

CW: No, he said oysters. I've seen that movie a hundred times.

DD: It's voices! How could it be oysters? They never talk about "The Oysters of Alderaan."

It's hard to fathom how someone who has seen Star Wars a hundred times could hear "oysters" every time, but don't we all have song lyrics we've heard wrong (Sam and Janet Evening, Round John Virgin, Donzerlee Light . . .), and movie lines we've had to run the DVD five times to hear (I put the subtitles on when it gets that bad).



I think I mentioned last time that I started the Rainbow Socks from Magknits in Count Cluckula. I decided to do them toe-up, even though it may mean some fudging on the short-row design as I approach the heel.

I have learned a few things.

  • 1. If you are going to knit the pattern bass-ackwards, at least check to find out how the heel is supposed to allign to the leg.


  • It turns out that the short row pattern starts on the side of the sock, not center back. My design is a quarter turn off, and doesn't look as interesting from the front. It will get frogged tonight.

  • 2. Do not try to knit two short-row anythings at the same time on two circular needles.


  • Hey, at least I was smart enough not to try Magic Loop. Each sock now has its own circ and I am doing them one pattern repeat at a time. At least sock #2 is oriented correctly.

  • 3. If you mess with the stitch count before you know what you're doing, you may be sorry.


  • I increased the stitch count to 68 stitches, since a 56-stitch sock on #1 needles seemed too small for me. The last line of the directions for the short row section don't quite work. It seemed to me that they should work, since I increased by a multiple of four. However, the pattern kind of eats up stitches in multiples of five because you work the "turned stitch" (I am wrapping a la Cat Bordhi) and then knit four more stitches.

    OK, I may have to frog back to the toe on both socks. Huh.

  • 4. If you buy yarn that is black, green, purple, red, yellow, orange, and grey it is going to look pretty scary knitted up.


  • Hey, it's Count Cluckula. Vampires are supposed to be scary.

    Lightweight Count Cluckula

    Kommentare:

    Lark hat gesagt…

    I does my heart good to know my toe up teacher still has to frog occasionally. Hey, I've moved, married, and got a dog. Came across my toe up socks and remembered we said we'd meet at the Russian Tea room to play. Summer's long gone, but email me and let's make the date happen before Thanksgiving, if we can. Oysters indeed, LOL! Blue skies!

    Tola hat gesagt…

    well krap! i wish the pictures would show up on my work computer. now i hafta wait until i get home! going to the Jethro Tull concert tonight at Abravanel. cant wait! and . . . . . . "oysters"? is she kidding?

    Laritza hat gesagt…

    I suspect you have to frog right back to the toe. The yarn looks pretty in the skein and I am curious to see it knit up. Oysters?

    Lynn hat gesagt…

    I vant to drink your ... yarn? That is one scary Count! Maybe he's part moth?

    Terri hat gesagt…

    Oysters? Oh my!

    I can not wait to tsee the Chuckula knit up.

    No tickers