Dienstag, Juni 19, 2007

Tolkien wrote The Hobbit . . .

When suddenly faced with a blank sheet amidst the papers he was marking, Tolkien used the breathing space (and the paper) to begin the second greatest* story ever told: "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

When suddenly faced with a free hour in my piano teaching schedule, I started Rhubarb Metropolis socks.

Trusty-proof temporary yarn stash


I'm starting at the toe, but the actual pattern is top down.

Metropolis Socks pattern available from The Loopy Ewe. Rhabarber colorway sock yarn from Wollmeise.


The design has some Monkeyish aspects, but makes Xs instead of Vs. It distorts the stripes into almost kaleidoscopic curves.



I had originally bought black and white Tofutsies for this pattern, but Trusty ate it. L-B says I should try feeding him tofu. I think it was the seafood shells that appealed to him.

The other thing Trusty ate, or at least mouthed and left incredibly slimy and disgusting, was P's new Webkinz dog. Laurel washed it off thoroughly, but P was very unhappy. Q did not have a Webkinz yet, so we went to the toy store when I finished teaching and got him a Persian cat, a frog for M, and a replacement dog. But when we got to Laurel's, P had reunited with her dog, so I gave O the new one. In case you are new to the Webkinz phenomenon, the toys come with a password that lets the wee owner onto a kid game website where their toy becomes a virtual pet that they can dress and feed and sort of talk to. Virtual pets aren't new, but these are awfully cute.

We bought M's frog at Me & My House in Bountiful


In case you are wondering why my grandchildren have alphabetical names, I am clueless. But we are missing an N in that series, so I think Howard and Amber will have to name their new baby something starting with that letter.

* Opinions differ on which is THE greatest story ever told, but it is probably "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

P.S. Can you tell I crashed my blog? Hint: Do not edit HTML after midnight unless you are a real programmer.

Kommentare:

Laritza hat gesagt…

That is an interesting kaleidoscope effect. It is a mystery on how patterns and stitches work in their own way.

Terri hat gesagt…

The socks are gorgeous!

1 day since you bought yarn? Did you have a visit with the Yarn Pirate?

Terri hat gesagt…

Replacement yarn does not count as a purchase!

No tickers