Montag, Juni 04, 2007

Swatch on!

After creating an incredibly ugly swatch for my mom's sweater, I realized that the pattern I had decided to use called for the wrong weight of wool. I was getting gauge, but eeewwww! Digging through my patterns turned up something much more appropriate:

Diamond and Lace Cardigan (pattern number P703) from Harrisville Designs


It calls for the right weight of yarn, and I'm pretty sure this is the pattern used for a model in my yarn at the Needlepoint Joint (I bought the yarn when it was discontinued).

I remember now that the Celtic Cardigan pattern was intended for a spinning project.

Custom roving "Kilted man with long hair walking on the beach and the wind is blowing" designed for me a few years ago by Harriett at Autumn House Farm


I have to learn to spin light, fluffy yarn before I go for that one. Right now my spinning tends to be heavy and solid.

Diamond and Lace turns out to be really complicated. It's knitted all in one piece, with six different charts to keep track of. I ran out of knitting markers--a lot of mine were in the bottom of the bag that disappeared at the theater last month. I had to resort to plastic safety pins and M's pony tail holders by the time I finished the first row.

Bum model: Cesare


I got the bright idea of knitting the neckband double, since it looked kind of stretched-out in the picture. I knitted the cast-on edge to the live edge at 1:00 a.m. while increasing beaucoup stitches in an arcane and senseless (to me) series of knits, purls, and make-ones while watching Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del fauno) with subtitles. My Spanish is iffy at best and I did not find a dub track in the menu. The knitting came out even on both needles. Es un milagro.

Pan's Labyrinth--well, it's a beautiful film that blends fantasy with real life, but it is set in wartime Spain and has shocking moments of violence. Holly reviewed it a while ago in episode 4 of her Film and Fiber podcast, and it won several Academy Awards. I found it touching and am glad I watched it, but Laurel and Amber, you don't want to see this film.

I needed something a lot less complex to knit at P's riding lesson, so I started Alix's Prayer Shawl, by Myrna Stahman.

The online shawl instructions are kind of fuzzy. There's so much chatty explanation directed at the first-time shawl knitter that I had to wade through 2 1/2 pages of text to find the cast-on instructions. The farther I got with the shawl the unhappier I was with the eleven live stitches in the middle of the shawl's neck, which were ultimately supposed to be kitchener-stitched together. I don't have a problem with the edge stitches being grafted to each other, but what about the whole first row of the chart? The afore-mentioned marker shortage had also caused a not-too-mysterious disappearance of the shawl's center stitch, so I frogged it this morning at the Dr's office and started over:

Cast on four stitches with provisional cast-on; knit in seed stitch for six rows; turn, pick up and knit three stitches purl-wise, remove thread from provisional cast-on and knit the four live stitches in seed stitch; start shawl as indicated in pattern.


Note the new stitch markers. They're from H.L. Miller at Etsy.com. I also ordered a set of Hogwarts markers from Sunneshine. OK, well I might have ordered more than just those.

Apropos of nothing, a Trusty update:

Oh no! She's cooking onions again!


OK, I'm going to go knit now.

Kommentare:

Laritza hat gesagt…

I have the idea that I knit a shawl with the cast-on method you mentioned. It is an almighty mess. Better to do it the way you did it.

Terri hat gesagt…

This entry has so many thigs to explore. The cardi pattern is lovely. The fiber was made for you! WOW!

So, here I am, a brand new to be spinner, where are your favorite places to buy top/rovings?

No tickers