Mittwoch, Mai 09, 2007

Some Pictures

OK. Which pictures do you want to see first, the ones from the Kaffe Fassett class, or the ones from the Maritime Museum?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Elaine's Quilt Block invited Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mabley to teach two quilting classes in Salt Lake City this week. Kaffe also gave a lecture, which you can read about over at Margene's place. Laurel and I attended the lecture, but my pictures came out too dark to rejuvenate.

Here Kaffe is explaining the benefits of using a design wall (big strips of flannel) rather than the floor when planning a project.

Kaffe Fassett2

The Monday class, which dealt with hue, would have been more appropriate for my level of color expertise, but it was already full when I went to sign up. So Laurel (pictured here on the right) and I signed up for a class in which we would be working with value rather than color.

Kaffe Fassett

While Kaffe did the explanations, Brandon did as much of the teaching once we started working on our projects. They were both very nice to work with, and there were no rock star attitudes in evidence.

Brandon Mabley

The project was to learn how to design blocks for the Square Clamshell quilt in Kaffe's Museum Quilts. Mine is the third one from the left. As you can see, my grasp of value is pretty shaky. Laurel's is the second from left. She actually quilts, whereas I am just a wannabe who knows how to use a rotary cutter. Laurel is is an artist as well, which explains why hers look better than mine. I'm sorry I didn't get the names of the people working on either side of us, but I left their quilt blocks in so you can see the range of colors people used in this project.

Quilts2

One brave person (not afraid of hand-sewing) even designed an actual Clamshell quilt. I think it is going to be beautiful.

Quilts

As for the Maritime Museum, we both loved it, but we loved different things about it. I liked the tall ships.

HMS Surprise

Paul liked the Vietnam-era Soviet submarine.

Paul on sub

Rather than make you wait while the rest of the ship pictures download, I have put the rest of them on here on Flickr.

I was so excited to actually stand on the deck of HMS Surprise. Yes, I know it is just a big movie prop (although it is a real sailing ship, unlike some waterborn movie sets), and yes, I know there wasn't really any HMS Surprise. But having read or listened to all the Aubrey/Maturin novels, I just couldn't help it. It was the same thing as going to New Zealand and seeing the Lord of the Rings movie locations, only quicker and cheaper.

Sadly, belowdecks has been turned into a William Dampier museum; and not only that, they are riding the Disney wave by playing up the piratical aspect of his life. Buccaneers are, of course, much more fun to learn about than naturalists. I admit, I waded through Dampier's biography and thought I would die of boredom. But he wasn't a real pirate; his heart wasn't in it. I think the Maritime Museum should have at least used a real pirate, or if they wanted to use a sort of pirate, why not stick with movies and use Will Turner? He's more fun to look at.

1 Kommentar:

Laritza hat gesagt…

Pretty colors!
This software
http://www.irfanview.net/
will fix the dark pictures. Download and install and download and install the plugins. It does wonders and it if free.

p

No tickers