Donnerstag, Mai 24, 2007

Read to me, iPod!

Trusty and I are team-eating this morning. We have leftover cajun rice from last night's dinner. I am eating the rice, and tossing the chicken to him. I am not very fond of chicken.

The pink shawl is now eating 6 g. of yarn per repeat. I only have one more repeat before I do the edging. It IS taking me all week.



While I'm knitting, I'm usually watching TV, or to be more accurate, TiVo. I don't catch a lot of series; just Bones and what's left of the Stargates. The rest is History Channel, Science Channel, Knitty Gritty, Masterpiece Theater--that sort of thing.

But what keeps me going in the rest of my life is the iPod.

I hate doing dishes. I hate laundry. I hate cleaning. I hate walking that hour a day for exercise. The only thing that makes doing those things bearable is knowing I can listen to a recorded book on my iPod.

Since getting my iPod I have listened to all of the Amelia Peabody mysteries--twice. I've listened to all of the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey/Maturin novels. I listened to most of Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon thrillers. I've started in on the classics--The Woman in White, The Moonstone, Bleak House, A Tale of Two Cities, and now The Count of Monte Cristo.

So in a way, the iPod buys me my knitting time. I get the other stuff out of the way faster so I can knit.

Since I like it so much, I thought I would pass on a few recommendations.

  • Audible.com is easier to use and cheaper than buying individual books on CD.

  • If you get an account with them so that you have credits, you can get two books a month for about $10 each, and additional books are discounted. If you use your credits on the really pricey ones and watch for sales, you don't waste too much yarn money.

    The downside is that you can't lend them to friends and family as easily as you can a print book or a book on CD. The person has to actually download them from your computer to their iPod. There is a three-computer limit to the number of places you can download to, and a downloaded book isn't useable if you copy it to another location.

    Audible works with pretty much any mp3 player. You don't have to have an iPod.

    P.S. they are not paying me for this.

  • If possible, listen before you buy.

  • I will listen to anything read by Barbara Rosenblat. She is Amelia Peabody. Patrick Tull, sadly now deceased, is the reader for Patrick O'brian's seafaring books.

  • Use online resources for background info and to find out what order series books go in.
    I like The Patrick O'Brian Compendium for Aubrey/Maturin info; Amelia Peabody.com for that series (for some reason I don't like Elizabeth Peters's other mysteries all that much); Murders in the National Parks for info on the Ann Pigeon thrillers (caveat: these can get gory); and Sparknotes for those "do what?" moments in the classics.

  • Series books are great because you don't have to wonder what to listen to next!


  • I can't actually think of anything else to say, so I guess Edmond Dantès and I will take Trusty for a walk now.

    Kommentare:

    Margene hat gesagt…

    Audible rocks! My iPod and I love it, too.

    Jersey Shore Deb hat gesagt…

    I agree--I am a big Audible fan, and love knitting while listening as well.
    Deb
    http://rather-be.blogspot.com

    Judy hat gesagt…

    You CAN record to cd's. I do it all the time. Just do it from your computer where you have downloaded the books. :>)

    Laritza hat gesagt…

    I get them from the Davis County Library online. With the library card you create an account for free and download the books to your computer and then to the mobile device. Free of charge. The only thing is that they will only play on "Play for Sure" devices that means no Ipods. I figured the money I saved by getting audio books from the library paid for the MP3 player and left change. I will get them from audiobooks.com if the library does not have it and I HAVE TO HAVE IT :D

    No tickers