Dienstag, Mai 22, 2007

Cute Little Fiber Fair, Aging Parents

OK, this is how amazing I am. I looked at all the new stuff at The Loopy Ewe sneak-up this morning and didn't buy anything. I did think about calling my daughter and asking her to buy something for me, but no. I stuck it out. Incidentally, if you follow that link, also go to the home page and click on each yarn shown. There are usually more colors than show up in the "New" section.

I also did not go to the Idaho Falls fiber fair this last weekend. I was too pooped from the trip to Portland. And too broke, truth be told. I always come away from Idaho Falls with beaucoup $$ in beads, fleeces, and rovings. See Kate's report on the fair. I have some gorgeous red roving that I bought from Kate last summer, and I also took a dye class from her. And she has Cyndi and Shirley pictured, too, and they are two of my favoritest people in the world.

We are going up to my parents' this weekend for a postponed Mother's Day. I'm kind of puzzled about what to take as a gift. I have some beautiful silvery grey Tencel/merino yarn that I got on sale several years ago. It would make a beautiful cardigan for the woman who gets up in the morning and turns the heat up to 80 degrees, even in August. I need to dig through my patterns. I know I have this somewhere:

Oat Couture Celtic Cardigan


Or maybe she would prefer something fitted:

Katherine Hepburn Cardigan from Lace Style


She would get Yarninabox of course. I might be able to knit a cardigan in four days, but I don't want to find out. The goal would be to have it ready for her birthday in August.

I worry about my mother always feeling cold. She doesn't eat properly and forgets to take her diabetes medicine. She's kind of anorexic, so really thin. She forgets to take her thyroid medication. These things all can make people feel cold.

The last time I was up there I was in the bathroom next to mom's room and overheard my parents talking.

Mom: There's something wrong with this heater. It's glowing red.

Dad: What's it set on?

Mom: I don't know, about 65 I think.

Dad: D**it! You've got it set on 90! Turn it down!

Me: Turn it off!

I spent the rest of the night waking periodically to make sure the house wasn't burning down.

They set their yard on fire at least once a year, burning weeds or their garbage with a flame thrower. Supposedly they have a trash service picking up the garbage now. My sisters' kids go up to weed.

My dad set the kitchen carpet on fire last summer, too. He thought the nose-piece on his oxygen was uncomfortable, so he got out his little propane torch to melt it into a more comfortable shape. He left the oxygen running . . . not sure why. He used to be a welder, so he knows what happens when oxygen meets a torch.

Oddly, he's the one of the two who actually knows what's going on most of the time. My sister and I are setting up an appointment for mom at the Memory Loss Center (a euphemism for Alzheimer's Care) in Salt Lake. The last time they went out of town she didn't recognize her own home when they got back. She is often disoriented, but this was worse than usual and she has agreed she might need help.

But despite dad's being the one who knows how to run the TV and satellite remotes and remember what day of the week it is, he sure gets into some pickles.* One day he looked out and saw a cow (or cows) in his yard (the BLM isn't required to fence animals in; you have to fence them out). In his bare feet and pajamas and without his portable oxygen tank, dad jumped in the truck and chased the cow(s) up onto their range. Unfortunately he got the truck high-centered on a ridge and was not able to drive back. With no shoes or oxygen he couldn't walk back. With no phone in his pajamas pocket he couldn't call for help. So he just sat there waiting for something to happen. Mom finally wondered where he was and walked out to the main road, from where she could see the truck. Fearing a heart attack or other serious problem, she flagged down some hunters, and asked if they could take their ATV up on the mountain and find him. They brought dad back, but it took a tractor with a crane hook to get the truck back on solid ground.

It should be a fun visit. Mom lets me raid her books and music and tells me wild stories about her childhood. My sister and her daughter will come up to gab and knit. And although it's hard getting used to my parents not being the same people I remember from my own childhood, it's a good 9 hours of knitting time getting there and back.

*Apologies if I've told you this story before. It's cathartic for me to repeat it.

Kommentare:

Margene hat gesagt…

It's so hard to watch our parents change and their decline. You're a very good daughter.

Terri hat gesagt…

You are so strong!

Laritza hat gesagt…

Enjoy your parents, how nice that you have them both.

yarn whisperer hat gesagt…

I find it amazing how older people cope with the aging process. I wonder how they manage to cope with loss of memory, confusion and not being able to do things like they used to.
My mother in law had alzheimers, my step father had another kind of dementia and my mother is starting to forget a lot of things now.
It's hard to parent your parents, take care of yourself.

No tickers