Dienstag, März 20, 2007

Monogamous Knitting

Why do I feel compelled to make Utah jokes after typing that title?

Obviously I am not going to be a monogamous knitter. My lifestyle requires me to have more than one project on the needles.

For example, I have to have a church sock. In fact, I have to have two church socks because I am emotionally unable to work on the brown one right now



so I have to work on the pastel, spring-colored one instead.



I have to have a knit-in-the-dark sock for movies, SnB, and other low-visibility events.

Blue Moon Fiber Arts G-Rocks Mediumweight


I have the diet sweater, recently frogged back to the ribbing because of a (no-doubt stress-induced) mistake I made back in November.
Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 40







I have more UFOs in the closet than Bluebeard had wives: a Vivian Hoxbro modular sweater/poncho thingie; lined Latvian mittens I started for Howard eight years ago; Lucy Neatby's Sunset Vest, which only needs about 2" of knitting to be ready for edgings; Alice Starmore's Marina Cardigan, for which some of the yarn may have disappeared in the Vault incident last year; a Koigu scarf my friend Lisa gave me a couple of years ago; a lacy baby sweater that keeps appearing and disappearing at random; a number of pairs of socks. I don't remember how many wives were in Bluebeard's closets, but I have enough UFO socks to beat Bluebeard any day.

However, I am thinking about reducing the number of active projects I have going. You know, the ones where you sit under the good light on the comfy couch in front of the TV when you work on them.

I am trying to reduce my stress level by being more efficient at the things I have to do, so I listened to Eat That Frog! on my iPod last week. One of the concepts the author recommends is working on one project at a time, all the way to completion. His reasons include that when you start a project after some downtime, you lose time remembering where you were in the project and it takes a while to get going again. Too true. It takes me anywhere from an hour to two days to figure out where I am in a complicated project, find all the materials, and get organized again.

Before I got into a kind of sock madness recently, I was alternating days knitting on three projects. But I wonder if I could just finish one project at a time, and alternate what I start next: a small, non-sock project; then a sock; then a big project?

I think I would get tired of the big project and need a break. But I could try it.

In that case, the first few projects would be:

  • Dress for Baby Aeowyn, who is currently 52 hours old and still in NICU at children's hospital due to infection




  • Hidcote Garden shawl, the last of the three rotating projects

  • Either the cover sock from Favorite Socks or Pomatomus


  • Since I just bought all of Cookie A.'s sock patterns, maybe there would be a couple of socks in there before another big project materialized. I would kind of like to finish up those UFO's, though. And they could count as big projects even though they are partly (or even mostly) done.

    OK, maybe the new project rotation order should be:
  • small, non-sock project
  • sock
  • big project, hopefully a UFO
  • sock


  • I think I would have to stop everything for the BMFA club sock when it arrives every other month.

    February kit finished early this a.m.


    Oh well. If this great idea goes anything like my other great ideas, such as stash reduction, don't expect it to last long. So far I haven't knitted ONE THING thing from stash yet this year.

    Kommentare:

    Tola hat gesagt…

    Oh anytime you want to reduce your stash, you know where to find me! Your SsTR are nice, different than Wendy's but to quote her, "mileage may vary." I too have many UFO's hanging about. Catholics got NOTHING on Mormons for guilt!

    Too Little Time hat gesagt…

    I too understand stash - my is both knitting and quilting - I promised myself I would finnish 5 UFO's last year (and I did) and 5 this year that way I am really working on them, but not getting crazy beyond my limit Good Luck Karrie

    Margene hat gesagt…

    Monogamos and knitting should not be used in the same sentence. It's futile and silly...obviously the Frog man doesn't knit.
    My prayers are with your niece and her daughter.

    KnitNana hat gesagt…

    Ah Tan...I understand (too well!).
    But I'm trying hard only to add to stash with sock yarn...!! And I haven't even started Hidcote yet!
    *wink*
    (((hugs)))

    Kerry hat gesagt…

    can you tell me what a Church Sock is? Are you knitting in sacrament meeting.. oh how I wish I was. I know that I'd get much more out of the speakers if my hands were busy and I'd promise to to break it out until after the sacrament (like I make my kids do with the fruit snacks.)

    Terri hat gesagt…

    Hi Tan,
    You have so many projects in progress it makes my head spin.

    I alsways have 2 projects on needles...socks and something else. This can be altered, but minimally.

    Right now I have socks and a shawl. My current socks are easy. That is not usually the case. I feel ok with a pair of easy socks to take out and about as I wait at appts and watch baseball games and dance lessons. And a pair of socks to concentrate on while the rest of the household is sleeping.

    Anymore than that and I feel overwhelmed. It feels good to have the end of a projec in sight. Once the ends are woven in it means the start of something new.

    Give it try. Pick 3 to finish before you even think about anything new. Finish small things first, it will feel good and your list of unfinished projects will shrink.

    You have plenty of time before the next Rockin Sock Club kit.

    No tickers