AAACK! This is not what I had in mind for this edging. I swear I did exactly what the pattern said, but it was just too much for a worsted weight cotton. Maybe an actual crocheter could have gotten this to work. I finished at about 2:00 a.m. and sleep-deprivation made me toy with the idea of giving the dress to my niece as is, and suggesting her mother fix it.
Fortunately this idea did not stick, and even more fortunately, crochet comes out easily. I like this a lot better.
The new, improved edging involved picking up stitches along the edge with the right side of the work facing, then turning the work and casting off all the stitches with the wrong side of the work facing.
I need to pick up buttons before I can call this project truly finished. A trip to the Needlepoint Joint! Yee Haw!
The intended wee victim is out of the hospital now, after a 12-day stay that started with a helicopter ride to Primary Children's Medical Center when she was only a couple of hours old. I think I'll give her exhausted mom and dad a week or so to recover before I go for a visit. That will give me a chance to find some tops to go with the dress; the colors are my niece's favorites, but I'm having trouble finding coordinates in what Laurel refers to as my Provençal color scheme.