Freitag, Dezember 15, 2006

Following the Crowd is Fun to Do etc.

OK, you guys, I'm going on the wagon. I'm joining Wendy's "Knit from your Stash in 2007" knitalong. Here are rules, formulated by Wendy and Lindsey-Brook (and printed by permission):

Knit From Your Stash 2007

1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months.

2. We will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:

2.a. Sock yarn does not count. What? You think we are made of stone?

2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that we really and truly do not have the yarn for, we may buy yarn to knit that gift.

2.c. If we are knitting something and run out of yarn, we may purchase enough to complete the project.

2.d. We each get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- we are each allowed to fall off the wagon one time.

3. We are allowed to receive gifts of yarn.

4. Spinning fiber of any sort is exempt.

I figure I'm pretty safe, since I'm getting that great haul from Knit Purl for Christmas, much of it lace-weight. And since sock yarn is allowed, and I mostly only knit socks anyway.

Here's my other copycat thing, from Joanne's blog:

Spill your (holiday) guts:

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Can I have both?

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Sits them under the tree, carefully arranged to look as big and spectacular as possible.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White on the tree, the house is left au naturel.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Not any more. We tried it, but if you use the mistletoe with fake berries it looks dumb, and if you have real berries they fall off and can poison children and pets. I have already had to remove poinsettia leaves from Trusty's drooly jaws this year.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
As soon after Thanksgiving dinner as I can manage it; this year it took a couple of weeks.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Cheese balls with cracked pepper on the outside.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
The year I didn't get any presents. My mom came to me in the afternoon on Christmas Eve (I was about 14) and told me that they had just come from the post office, and my gifts, all from the J.C. Penney catalog, had not arrived. I would get no presents on Christmas morning, although I would get them eventually.

I was used to that kind of thing (although it had never happened at Chrismtas) so I was pretty philosophical about it. I decided to have a spiritual Christmas. When my parents went to my aunt's Christmas party that evening and I was left babysitting sleeping siblings, I settled down in the living room in my pink baby doll nightie and put on Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas records. I turned on the tree lights, lit candles, and read the Christmas story from the Bible.

Suddenly I heard a big racket in the kitchen. Before I could go to explore it, Santa Claus came Ho-Ho-Ho-ing into the living room, jingling his bells. He took one look at me in my skimpy little nightie, and Ho-Ho-Ho-ed right out again as fast as he could go.

Later my parents came home and my mother was distraught because she had found a box of welfare food on the doorstep. "Who was here?" she demanded. I told her it was Santa Claus, but she was convinced it must have been the bishop. It ruined her Christmas because "the bishop thinks we're poor." Later the bishop told them that the welfare center had extra food that had to be distributed, and that everyone in our congregation had gotten some.

The fact is, we were poor, and so was everyone else in our community. We were Idaho farmers, for heaven's sake.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
When I was about seven I wandered out on Christmas Eve and found my parents stuffing Christmas stockings. When I asked what they were doing, my mom explained that they were helping Santa Claus. She invited me to help, so every year after that I was into stuffing stockings in a big way. It convinced me that there really was a Santa Claus, because if I wasn't helping Santa, then who was I helping?

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Paul and I don't, but when the kids were little we let them open a present like new pajamas or something boring.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
It's a free-for-all. We have everything from pricey glass garlands (I hope they survive Cesare's constant tree-climbing this year) to blobs of salt dough with a ribbon through them. I would love to have an elegant tree but I don't have the patience for it.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I totally love it. I even love shoveling it, especially if I can do it early in the morning when it sparkles like diamonds in the trees.

12. Can you ice skate? I used to but I haven't tried in about 40 years.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
My favorite gift as a child was a poseable Madame Alexander ballerina doll. It's too hard to decide what was my best gift as an adult, but the framed medieval manuscript pages (one music and one an illuminated Bible page) are right up there.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Belive it or not, it's the spiritual aspect of it. I just get through the shopping as best I can, but the lights, music, and Bible story are the big thing for me.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Fantasy Fudge

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Constant (mostly high quality) Christmas music, a fire in the fireplace every night it's legal, and The Big Breakfast on Christmas morning: before we open any presents, we gorge on waffles with non-alcholic Bananas Foster, strawberries and whipped cream, and butter and syrup. We have loads of bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, and juice. New members of the family have added new traditions, such as Amber's pastry Christmas tree.

17. What tops your tree?
An angle I mean angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
Giving, but I don't get the wrong idea--I like the stuff I get, too.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Can I have a song cycle? Britten's Ceremony of Carols.

20. Candy Canes... Yuck or Yum? Yuck, too sugary.

1 Kommentar:

Joanne hat gesagt…

The Knit from your stash is a great idea and has very reasonable rules - we should all be able to cheat a little!
PS - I loved reading about your favorite Christmas, being from a poor Idahoan farming family myself - I really could relate :)

No tickers