Dienstag, Dezember 05, 2006

The high-arched sock

Haven't finished your Christmas shopping?



This is The Museum of Kitschy Stitches by Stitchy McYarnpants (sorry I don't know who she really is). I thought my family would die laughing as they passed it around at Thanksgiving. Even the non-knitters thought it was hilarious. Only my husband remained stony-faced. I think he is afraid I'll knit some of those things for him.

But nope, I'm just knitting him a pair of mostly plain socks.



Last month when I finally pinned down Paul to make him try on half a sock, I realized that I hadn't planned the gusset correctly. I had to frog an inch, and ended up with a 13-stitch gusset instead of the 19 I originally knitted.*



I then knitted the first half of a short-row heel (in the dark while watching a video), and was going to use Cat Bordhi's toe-up heel flap technique from the fall Vogue. Suddenly my curiosity took over. What would happen if I completed the short-row heel as I usually do, but then made my heel flap?.

I worked the second half of the short-row heel and the heel flap in sl 1, k1 heel stitch. The result is, I believe, unique and exotic. Above all, it fits. Kewl!



There was some bumbling around at the beginning of the heel flap before I figured out what I should be doing.



The correct procedure turned out to require me to slip the gusset stitches onto the heel needle (working with two circs, as you can see from the first photo). Then I worked across the original heel stitches in sl 1, k1 across heel stitch, and when I got to the last heel stitch I connected it to a gusset stitch with ssk. On the purl row, or to more accurately describe what was actually happening, on the knit-back-backward row (my syntax leads me to believe that I might be reading too many Amelia Peabody novels), I connected the last stitch to its gusset stitch with p2 tog. After that it was pretty straightforward. Just as in a traditional heel turn, all I had to do was decrease across the gap.

I'm thinking I should have knitted a few plain rows before starting the ribbing. The transition from heel stitch to ribbing looks a little less-effective. However, this sock has been to the frog pond so many times that I've about had it with it.



The other worry was whether one ball of Trekking would make a decent cuff. Paul has fairly small feet for a guy (9 1/2 C) so I didn't buy a second ball originally. When I got into the cuff and started to worry about running short, I weighed the yarn and the sock and decided where the halfway point might be. I then knitted it all up. It was an anklet. I headed back to NPJ and bought the last ball they had in my colorway. It's a different dyelot, but not noticeably different.

Still trudging along on the Vegas Christmas stocking:



* I created the gusset by doing a lifted increase** before the first stitch on the gusset needle, and another after the last stitch. The next round was a plain round. On round three I did k1, increase, knit to last stitch, increase, k1; on round five I did k2, increase, knit to last two stitches, increase, k2; and so on.

** To do a lifted increase before a stitch, I pick up the top loop of the stitch below the one I'm increasing into. To do the lifted increase after a stitch, I knit the stitch, then pick up the top loop of the stitch below the one I just knitted into.

Keine Kommentare:

No tickers