Dienstag, Oktober 17, 2006

Tuesday

I finally remembered to go to the post office for a mysterious, insured package that I missed last week. It was my spinning wheel bag!



I ordered it from *** The *** Judy Jackson. I'm hoping this will make the wheel pretty much Trusty-proof. The bag is Cordura. I know it's waterproof, because my other wheel kept perfectly dry in a total downpour this summer while wearing its own Judy Bag.

The bag opens all the way up so I can just peel the wheel (heh heh) like a banana, spin, then zip it up without having to lift the wheel in and out.



I was so excited that I finished spinning the singles for the exchange.



I will have to experiment on the plying. My original plan was to 3-ply, but I may have spun my singles too fat.

Trusty and Che helped with the spinning.

Trusty's project:




Che's project:




(Don't worry, I was able to save it)


Incidentally, Stephanie was wondering if the reason I have so much fiber time is due to not having children at home. This helps, but it's not the whole story. There are some clues to my time management techniques in the background of these photos. For example, the five minutes it would have taken to make my bed today were much better spent spinning.

While spinning I played "fake the Tivo." The History Channel and Tivo haven't been communicating well lately. I figured out that if I record whatever is on three hours later than the schedule shows, I will get the program I actually want. So last night I recorded an hour of something labelled "Paid Programming" in order to watch "Engineering a Nation: Greece" this afternoon. Isn't technology great?

Variety is the spice. The spice must flow.

I took a couple of pictures on my way to and from my organ lesson yesterday. My lesson is in the Assembly Hall on Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah.



I've heard people think it was a Synagogue, but nope. Right now it's mainly used as a small concert hall, but sometimes there are meetings in it. It has this great pipe organ upstairs



which is only played for recitals since the building is public (no one wants to listen to someone else practice). I have played it once. Not sure if you can see the big trumpetty things sticking out; I picked a piece for the last recital that used them. They are very loud. Even louder than the organ normally is. Loudness is one of the great things about playing an organ. Second only to conducting an orchestra, playing the organ has to be one of the biggest power trips in music.

We all know that, Pee-wee's Big Adventure aside, there is no basement in the Alamo. However, there is a basement in the Assembly Hall and it is full of pipe organs. This is the little bitty pipe organ I warm up on before my lesson:



Isn't it cute? It can be worked with bellows, but is hooked up to an electric air source. When you turn it on you can hear the pump start up and the air begin moving. There is at least one more pipe organ, the one I take my lesson on. I was too chicken to take a picture during my lesson. There may be another one, but the other doors are usually locked, so who knows.

Hey, remember these chocolates?



You can get some at Williams-Sonoma!

Keine Kommentare:

No tickers