Sonntag, Oktober 08, 2006

Spinning & Such



**The** Judy Jackson has my wheel cover nearly finished, so I decided I could stand to start pulling the wheel out of its makeshift anti-Trusty hideout



and get back to work on the spinning for an exchange. The wool I received was white, and I wasn't in the mood to spin white; hope the recipient likes purple.



I dyed this with Cushing's in Grape, Raspberry, and Strawberry. For each color I melted 1 tsp (more or less) of dye powder in 1 cup (more or less) boiling water. This was for about 10 oz. of wool. I drizzled it in stripes across the roving on plastic wrap, bundled it up in the plastic wrap, and steamed in my old electric frying pan for a couple of hours. This was how long it took the dye to pretty much exhaust.

Since my self-proclaimed Sock September didn't get very far, I decided to join Soctoberfest.

I actually answered a lot of the startup questions when I declared the afore-mentioned, now-fizzled Sock September(scroll to 9/4).

  • When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

  • September 1996, using Nancy Bush's Folk Socks.

  • What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

  • It was just a plain pair of socks. They were done in Bandana (red) Happy Trails. I gave them to my daughter and I don't know how they held up.

  • What would you have done differently?

  • Nothing! It was a great experience.

  • What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

  • My current craze is Blue Moon Fiber Arts STR in the leight weight; but I also love Trekking, Happy Trails, Opal, etc.

  • Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

  • I really hate crochet, so let's not go there. My favorite method is 2 circulars, but I can use DPNs in a pinch. Magic Loop not so much; I get either a tight or a loose stitch at the switchover point. And I usually knit them toe up unless I'm following a pattern that would be too confusing to reverse (think Cookie A.)

  • Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

  • Short row.

  • How many pairs have you made?

  • You had to ask. I don't know. I have about a dozen worn out pairs downstairs waiting to be felted and recycled. I have probably eight pairs in my drawer in current use. I've given away maybe a dozen more. So what, say 30 pair? Not a very good average for someone whose been knitting them for ten years, but Oh Well.

    Kommentare:

    margene hat gesagt…

    Love the color of your fiber. We'll have to spend some time spinning together when I get my wheel. Good luck with Socktober...I'm not doing too well.

    Marcia hat gesagt…

    Wow...that's the first time I've seen Margene admit that she's getting a wheel! (Ask me how I know? It's MY former Lendrum, as I wait for the new Kromski folding wheel.) Anyway, "Into the Dyeing Pan" just cracked me up. Why didn't I think of an electric fry pan?!

    Joanne hat gesagt…

    I love the colors you chose for your Cushings. Does this mean the dye shed is completed? :)

    No tickers