Montag, September 11, 2006

This sad day

I almost didn't post anything today because I didn't want it to say "September 11." I know that the date December 7th means Pearl Harbor, but I only know it intellectually. But no one who turned on the TV or radio just out of habit on the morning of September 11 five years ago can see that date and not think of horror, fear, silent skies.

In any case I have a bad case of anxiety today. I don't know if it's because I watched too many TV shows about the September 11 tragedy on the weekend and went out to find the Boy Scouts had put a flag in my yard in commemoration. I don't know if it's because I have too much to do. Maybe the thyrogen shots I had in July had side-effects they didn't tell me about. Trusty is at daycare but I am going to go get him because I'm ditching out on the rest of my day. No early music ensemble. No highland dance class.

I might sign Trusty up with Bark Busters, an Australian dog training franchise. It's expensive, but their training methods use natural dog communication methods rather than treats and punishment. I wonder if I will have to growl? I know part of my stress is constantly having to worry if he's chewing something he shouldn't (most of the time he is, despite stacks of chew toys) or peeing on the floor.

I did go talk with Dr. Rorke about my project for Renaissance Music Literature. I'm going to try to find out once and for all which types of music can appropriately be played on my bray harp. The main reason I went back to school was to get Dr. Rorke's playlist (I'm an early music/art/culture nut and have a previous degree in Medieval Studies).



The reason the bray harp is an issue is that it doesn't sound the way people expect. Click here and then listen to Track 11, "Little Caniad" for a sample. People in the Middle Ages and Renaissance must have loved that sound, since they had a number of buzzy instruments, such as the Krummhorn, hurdy-gurdy, cornamuse, bagpipe, pibgorn, etc.



It's just a little discouraging to go to a rehearsal chock full of medieval music and be told not to bring the medieval harp.



Of course research isn't always the answer. One singer told me that she gave me full points for historical accuracy, but it still didn't sound good. Maybe I just need to practice more.

Sheesh. Another thing to do.

1 Kommentar:

David hat gesagt…

Dr. Rorke is such a sweetheart... I don't know how I would have made it through early music history without her.

No tickers