Mittwoch, September 06, 2006

Starting the Welsh Country Sock

Starting the Welsh Country Sock from Folk Socks turned out not to be quite as simple as I thought. I had to frog a toe I had started before I decided to go with a traditional construction. I had to rescue the yarn from Trusty twice. And I had to decide whether to knit the stocking to fit my current pudgy legs or the legs I hope to have if I can stick with Weight Watchers for a while.

In the end I decided to knit the pattern as is. The JaWoll is a little finer than the yarn called for in the pattern, so I'm using #0 needles. I added 8 stitches to the cast-on for a total of 92 to maintain measurements. I had originally thought I would knit a knee-high, but I think this white top sock will look nicer at the mid-calf length of the original design.

I really like the fabric I'm getting at this gauge, about 9 sts/inch. I'm just ready to start the decreases for the leg shaping.

I got my STR Lucy in yesterday's mail. Have not shown it to Che yet. I'm not quite ready for him to start his scissor routine on it.

In case you're not familiar with this yarn's history, Wendy's Fairy Godmother commissioned it for Wendy (see August 10th on her blog), to match her famous kitty.

The other new stuff here came from the Great Basin Fiber Arts Fair on Saturday.



I got the same Peaches and Berries thrums that caught Margene's eye

and wonderful this wonderful Sprites! sock yarn in The Judy Jackson's Angel's Landing colorway. I can't get my photo to do justice to these brilliant raspberries and oranges. I hadn't planned on buying more sock yarn, but the colors glued themselves to my brain and I couldn't walk away without it.

I shouldn't even post my dye results. I didn't mix the colors; I only painted one of them. We spent the morning in class going over the process of dyeing, and the afternoon actually doing it. I went home at lunch to try to convince the boys to come down for the afternoon. They wouldn't, since they were having too much fun making trouble for their parents, who were trying to pack.

When I got back, Laurel and Joanne had mixed all the colors for my autumn shaded silk roving. I may have ruined the silk trying to nuke it into submission later. I finally had to sprinkle vinegar all over it and give it a 3-minute dose of microwaves. It seems a bit crunchy.



Joanne dyed my Columbia roving in these great shades of red

and Laurel dyed a grey batt in what was meant to be greens and blues but mysteriously also developed some reds. The photo doesn't do the colors justice.

As soon as we can find time, Laurel and I plan to clean out our garden shed (since I never garden any more) and turn it into a dyeing studio! Then maybe I'll get brave enough to mix my own colors. I do tend to be a bit wishy washy about learning new skills. And I've long had a fear of dyeing :)

Kommentare:

margene hat gesagt…

It was a fun day at the Fair. I bought Judy's red yarn and it's beautious, too. I haven't looked at my hand painted roving as yet. I'm a little scared to see what it looks like;-)

Joanne hat gesagt…

I love the Welsh Country sock, I looked it up at the library yesterday since I don't have that NB book. Yours is looking good. I also love the colors that the silk turned, it's kind of surprising, I don't remember so much yellow, Kate did say silk took dye in funky ways though.

No tickers