Freitag, September 15, 2006

Maybe Autumn


I told Paul about the cool digital camera someone had at the Yarn Harlot book-signing--it was tiny and lightweight, but had a huge screen. To my total astonishment, he bought me one! Of course it may not be the exact same camera. But it fits the above criteria. It has more than twice the pixel count of the old one, and is about the size of my cel phone. Thanks, whoever you are, for bringing your camera to Black Sheep and letting me see it.

A picture taken with the new camera (sleeping on the cat's food bowl can't be comfortable; it must have sociological ramifications):



A picture taken with the old camera:



What, did you think I was doing a scientific experiement?

This is scrummy-umptious March Hare from Autumn House Farms. It's so soft that Mikayla and I just sat around and rubbed it on our faces when we opened the package.

I love Autumn House. When I was first learning to spin I bought tons of their roving. Harriet even dyed one especially to my specification. I have enough to knit a sweater but I haven't spun it yet. I called it "Man with long hair walking on the beach in a kilt and the wind is blowing." I think it's the same one Harriet calls "Bracken and Gorse." Personally, I think my description captures the essence of the blend much better than hers does.

My only caveat is that when spinning blends like this that have a variety of fibers, pull off a chunk of roving and spin from the fold. If you try to spin from the end of the roving, all the long fibers spin out first, and you're left with a messy knot of silk or bunny in your hand.

Actually another cool thing showed up during today's round of closet cleaning. It even beats the LoRan magnet board from yesterday.

I have to tell you some background first. When we first moved here we got water in our basement due to a badly placed sprinkler. I had put boxes of books for which we didn't yet have bookshelves in the fruit room and they were the main victims. When I got ready to get the books out, they had been there for about a year. In that time the books had turned into sodden masses of black, moldy tar that had to be removed with a shovel. I tried not to look at the titles as I shoveled them out because it was too painful. We have replaced a lot of them as time went on, but some were simply irreplaceable.

Well, on a closet shelf that was full of music books and photo albums I found a volume of Robert Frost poetry. I had to stare at it for a while before I could open it and read the inscription. It was my birthday gift from Paul the year before we were married. The note was signed "love, Paul"--when I received that book, it was the first time I had ever seen those words in writing addressed to me. Finding it today, free of water damage, and reading that inscription again was incredible, a real gift.

In fact, it beat the new camera. And cheaper, too.


Keine Kommentare:

No tickers