Donnerstag, August 17, 2006

Black Holes

Today was Black Hole Day. I took the boys to see the Black Hole show at the Clark Planetarium in Salt Lake. We agreed it wasn't scary, except for a loud bit and flash of light at the beginning, so next week we may take Quinn. Quinn, who is 7, has had many sleepless nights over black holes since seeing something on The Science Channel that suggested that there is a black hole at the center of our galaxy which will, in the end of time, devour the entire galaxy.

This is what my yarn stash tries to do. There is so much of it that at some point it will implode from its own weight and take the house with it. A few months ago I had a de-stashing event and gave a lot of stuff away. I kept any projects where I had enough yarn for a whole sweater, hard to get yarns like Satakieli, great colors that I still like, such as the two whole bags of Noro Kureyon. I gave away acrylics, yarns I got on sale where there was one of this and two of those, some unwashed fleeces I was never going to get to, and some rug quality rovings. It was nice to get things so they will mostly fit into one room if I really want them to and if I can discipline myself to put them there.

But the best thing is that now I don't feel so guilty if I buy something new. In fact, I have almost convinced my sister to go with me on a road trip to the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival in Canby next month! We have to drive so we will have room to bring back WOOL!!! I can't drive by myself because I fall asleep if I don't have company and another driver to trade off with. Everyone cross their fingers that she gets a calm first grade class this year so she dares leave them with a substitute.

I start school next week, too. I am taking the semester mostly off. Mostly off means that I'm taking only one class for credit: Renaissance Music Literature; playing in one group: The Early Music Ensemble; and auditing an English class: Medieval Literature/Intro to Old English. There's a definite trend there. If it wasn't invented before 1600, I don't want to know about it.

P.S. I just looked at Margene's blog and was reminded of the Great Basin Fiber Festival coming up in just a week and a half. And it doesn't even require a road trip. Shopping! Stash renewal! A dyeing class. Say, I need to get a propane stove for that class. I've been looking for an excuse . . .

Keine Kommentare:

No tickers